Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yields: 20 servings
Breakfast just got a little more interesting! Using Angel Food Cake as a substitute for French Toast or Toaster bread results in a lighter, fluffier French Toast.
- (1) 7 to 8-inch angel food cake
- 6 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Whipped cream (or creme fraiche)
- Maple syrup
- Cut-up fresh Strawberries
1. Slice the angel food cake into 10 to 12, 1-inch thick wedges.
2. In a shallow dish combine eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla. Soak wedges in egg mixture for 1 minute per side.
3. In a nonstick skillet or on a nonstick griddle melt butter over medium heat. Cook 4 wedges at a time for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. To serve, stand slices in cake formation.
4. Top with whipped cream or creme fraiche. Drizzle with maple syrup and top with strawberries (or your choice of fruit).
5. Serve immediately. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
Note: You can make your own Angel Food Cake (there's a great recipe on the Recipes Wiki ) or purchase it premade.