Serves: 8 - 10
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: n. a.
Most people just think of coleslaw as that green, and usually gloppy, stuff that nobody really wants to touch. Right? This recipe will change your thinking on what coleslaw can be. Red and green cabbage are combined with carrots, sweet apple pears and the fresh bite of scallions and cilantro. The dressing is Asian-inspired, with flavors of soy, ginger, rice vinegar and spicy chili garlic sauce. This coleslaw will be something different you can feel good about serving your family or your guests. It's low in fat, low in sugar and can be made gluten-free if you use tamari instead of the soy sauce. Grace your holiday table with this delicious slaw and wait for compliments!
- 20 oz. shredded green cabbage
- 10 oz. shredded red cabbage
- 3 apple pears, cored and diced small
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 cup scallions, chopped
- 1 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. reduced sodium soy sauce (or gluten-free reduced sodium tamari)
- 1/4 tsp. chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp. chili garlic sauce (Sriracha or sambal oelek)
In a small bowl, whisk all of the dressing ingredients well; set aside.
In a large bowl, combine all the slaw ingredients and mix well. Add the dressing to the slaw mixture and toss to coat. Serve at room temperature or chilled.