Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Yields: 4-6 servings
- 2 oz. bacon, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 tbsp. olive oil, plus 2 tbsp.
- 2 oz. pancetta, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 lb. wild mushrooms, like hen of the woods, thickly sliced
- Fine sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 (28 oz.) can tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 2/3 cup fresh bread crumbs
1. In a large sauté pan, combine bacon, parsley, garlic, 4 tablespoons olive oil, and pancetta. Cook over medium-heat.
2. Add the pepper flakes and continue to cook for another 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Increase the heat and sauté until all juices have evaporated.
3. Add the tomatoes, wine and bring mixture to a simmer.
4. Partially cover the pan and cook over medium-low heat for 20-30 minutes.
5. In a small sauté pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and add the bread crumbs. Toss over high heat until they are browned.
6. Serve the mushrooms with bread crumbs sprinkled on top.