Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
Add some color to your plate with this fresh, flavorful salad!
- 1 lb. red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 can spiced beets drained, thinly sliced
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- ¼ cup red currant berries
- ½ cup water
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 2 tbs. brown sugar
- ½ cup red currant jelly
- ½ cup soy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- extra currants as garnish (optional)
- In a salad bowl, combine cabbage and beets.
- Sprinkle the slaw salad with walnuts.
- In a small pot, bring the currants, water, lemon juice, vinegar and brown sugar to a simmer. Allow mixture to simmer for 5 minutes in order for the sugar to dissolve. Transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Whisk in currant jelly and soy cream.
- Pour dressing over the slaw salad. Add red currants.
- Toss salad to coat evenly with dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste.