Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: n. a.
Green salads can be boring; it's just a fact of life. This salad shakes things up a bit and combines greens with chickpeas tossed with a lemon-Dijon vinaigrette. Don't worry about making extra vinaigrette - the dressing will end up running all over the greens, seasoning them well. This is a very healthy and naturally gluten-free salad. Serve as a main course with bread or pasta on the side, or serve as a side salad or even as a snack - the fiber from the chickpeas will help fill you up.
- 1 (16 oz.) reduced sodium or no salt added chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 a small red onion, minced
- 3 tbsp. minced fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicory, escarole or romaine lettuce, washed and dried
On a platter, make a bed of the greens (you can also do this on individual plates).
Combine all the other ingredients in a medium bowl. Spoon the mixture on top of the greens and serve at room temperature. You can also serve this salad cold.