Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: None
The chickpea (garbanzo bean) is a hearty, toothsome legume is loaded full of nutrition. Chickpeas form the base of this salad and its accompanying players are fresh vegetables and a simple vinaigrette. This is a naturally gluten-free, refined sugar free, low glycemic index salad that is sure to fill you up; chickpeas are loaded with beneficial protein. Fresh rosemary makes an appearance, but if the flavor of rosemary is too strong for your tastes, feel free to substitute with fresh herbs of your liking or a good dried herb blend (salt free Mrs. Dash Italian seasoning is quite good). Serve alongside grilled chicken or make it the main course of a vegetarian dinner. The choice is yours.
- 2 (15 oz.) cans reduced sodium or no salt added chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced, or ground into a paste with a little salt
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp. rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Combine the chickpeas with the onion, pepper, celery, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, and rosemary in a medium bowl.
In a small bowl, combine the red wine vinegar and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Combine the dressing with the chickpea mixture. Taste for seasoning, and serve at room temperature. You can also make this dish ahead of time; the salad tastes better when the flavors have had a chance to meld.