Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: n. a.
Look toward the summer and dream of something light, healthy and delicious! If you need a cold dish either as a main or as a side, this quick and affordable salad is sure to be a refreshing hit. Simple flavors and an even simpler dressing make this a satisfying meal. If serving as a main course, make sure to have something like hard rolls or even bruschetta on hand to ensure everyone at the table will be pleasantly full at the end of the meal.
- 1 (12 oz.) can albacore tuna in water, drained
- 1 (14 oz.) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup red onion, sliced in crescents
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (plus extra for serving)
- 1 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 5 - 6 fresh basil leaves, julienned
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Parmesan cheese, in shaved slices or freshly grated
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Salad greens, for serving
In a medium bowl, flake the tuna apart with a fork. Toss with the chickpeas, garlic and onion.
Add the olive oil, vinegar and basil. Toss well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for at least one hour to allow the flavors to meld.
When ready to serve, make a bed of salad greens on each plate. Top with the chickpea mixture and the shaved or grated Parmesan. Serve with lemon wedges and additional extra virgin olive oil for drizzling.
This is best eaten the same day.