Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: n. a.
Chock-full of ridiculously healthy (and tasty) ingredients, this colorful salad is fast, filling and it makes a great snack or a great dinner. You can also used other canned beans in this recipe, like red kidney beans or chickpeas. Add up to ½ tsp. of a ground spice (cumin, chili powder, etc.) for more flavor.
- 8 oz. red or white cabbage, or a mixture of both
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 pear
- 1 red-skinned eating apple
- 1 (7 oz.) can cannellini beans, drained
- ¼ cup chopped dates
- ½ tsp. dry English mustard
- 2 tsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. orange juice
- 1 tsp. white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp. paprika
- salt and black pepper
- Shred the cabbage very finely, discarding the core and tough ribs.
- Cut the carrots into very thin strips, about 2 inches long.
- Quarter, core and slice the pear and apple, leaving the peel on.
- Put the fruit and vegetables in a bowl with the beans and dates. Mix well.
- To make the dressing, blend the mustard with the honey until smooth. Add the orange juice, vinegar, paprika and season and mix well.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes before serving.