Prep Time:30 minutes
Total Time:30 minutes
Yields: 6 servings
Grilling this delectable seasonal fruit is the perfect way to celebrate your fourth of July. Here, peaches soften and caramelize over a moderate fire before melding with a sweet red-wine sauce and toasted slices of angel food cake.
- 1 cup fruity red wine, such as Merlot or Shiraz
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons Triple Sec, or other orange-flavored liqueur
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 6 ripe but firm medium peaches, peeled and halved
- 6 slices angel food cake, approximately 1 inch think
- Combine wine and orange juice in a small heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until reduced to 1/2 cup, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, stir in Triple Sec, brandy and 1 tablespoon sugar. Simmer until the sugar dissolves and flavors combine, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in lemon juice. Taste and stir in remaining sugar if needed for a pleasantly sweet but not cloying sauce.
- Preheat grill to medium. Oil the grill rack
- Brush peaches lightly with 2 tablespoons of the wine sauce, reserving the rest.
- Transfer the peaches and cake slices to the grill.
- Grill the cake over indirect heat or the coolest part of the grill until lightly toasted, about 1 minute per side. #Grill the peaches over direct heat until softened and browned in spots, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- In the last minute of grilling, brush the peaches with 2 tablespoons more of the wine sauce.
- Arrange 1 cake slice and 2 peach halves on each dessert plate and drizzle with the remaining sauce.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.