Prep Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yields: Makes 8 Scones and about 2 cups of Cherry Compote
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 2 tbsp. packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- Cherry Compote (recipe follows)
1. Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, sugars and oatmeal in large mixing bowl; set aside. Whisk together butter, egg, honey, cream and milk in separate bowl, Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir quickly until dough forms.
2. Transfer dough to lightly floured surface and pat into 8-inch round about 3/4-inch thick. Cut into 8 triangles of equal size. Place 1 to 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheet.
3. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until scones are golden brown. Cool on wire racks for 15 minutes, then halve to serve with butter and Cherry Compote.
- 1 lb. fresh Bing cherries, pitted and halved
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Combine all ingredients in heavy-bottom saucepan. Cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and liquid is boiling, Boil 2 minutes; remove cherries with slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer liquid 2 to 4 minutes or until mixture thickens.
3. Return cherries to pan and remove from heat. Cool 1 hour before serving.