Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 2 small tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic; 1 chopped, 1 smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 large eggs
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas, warmed
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Prepare the salsa: Set a grater in a large bowl; grate the tomatoes and onion into the bowl. Add the jalapeno, chopped garlic, hot sauce, cumin and salt and pepper to taste. Heat a medium skillet over low heat and add 2 teaspoons olive oil. Fry the salsa in the oil until it thickens slightly, 3 minutes. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
Add the beans to the same pan along with the smashed garlic, 1/2 cup warm water and a pinch of salt; cook over low heat until warmed through, smashing slightly with a fork.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in another skillet. Fry the eggs sunny-side up; season with pepper.
Place 1 warm tortilla on each plate. Divide the beans among them, then top with a fried egg, some salsa and cheese. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with the remaining salsa.