Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: n. a.
Hummus is usually a pretty healthy thing on its own but it can be boring, flavor-wise. This is a Southwestern take on hummus, studded with pickled jalapeño peppers and seasoned with lime juice, garlic, cilantro and a surprising ingredient - peanut butter! This is excellent served with crudités or served on crackers. It is naturally gluten-free, so for those watching their gluten intake, this is a perfect snack or appetizer for you. This recipe is also forgiving - you can make it as hot as you want it.
- 1 (16 oz.) can reduced sodium or no salt added chickpeas, chilled, then drained and rinsed
- 1 - 2 tbsp. Smuckers Natural creamy peanut butter
- 3 cloves fresh garlic
- 2 heaping tbsp. pickled jalapeños, with the juice (or more to taste)
- 1 - 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro leaves, or more to taste
- Juice of 1 large lime
- Pinch of ground cumin, to taste
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- Pinch of sea or kosher salt, to taste
Combine all the ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Taste for seasonings, then scoop into a bowl and serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.