Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
Yields: 6 servings
For (Vegans, those with dairy allergies or who are lactose intolerant, here is an alternate recipe to try. I made this recipe for Thanksgiving and my family thought it was as tasty as the kind with milk and butter.
- 6 medium or 4 large sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and cubed
- 3/4 cup soy milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (Sweetners may also work, I haven't tried it.)
- A sweet apple or sweet banana, even Peach or nectarine cooked with the sweet potatoes may work, Fruit that's getting a bit wilted and not ideal for dessert can frequently be used in this type or recipe. I haven't tried this specific recipe.)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Boil a large pot of water.
- Add potatoes and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, or until tender.
- If using fruit in place of sugar add it later as fruit takes less time to cook.
- Using an electric mixer (or hand masher, if you prefer), blend potatoes slowly adding ¼ cup of milk alternative at a time until you get to your desired consistency.
- Continue blending potatoes, adding in brown sugar and salt.
- Blend until at your desired texture (smooth or lumpy).
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes This recipe includes milk and butter