Preparation Time: <5 minutes
Cook Time: Varies according to package directions
Couscous is a wonderfully fast food to prepare. It takes but mere minutes to steam in the presence of hot water, can be combined with a multitude of ingredients, both sweet and savory, to create a hearty and healthy dish. Here, the couscous is cooked in chicken broth and has just a few simple ingredients added to create something flavorful everyone will enjoy.
- 2 cups fat free, reduced sodium chicken broth (preferably gluten-free)
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (10 oz.) package plain, uncooked couscous (preferably gluten-free)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
In a medium pot, bring the chicken broth and a tablespoon of the olive oil to a boil. Stir in the couscous; cover and remove from the heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
Stir in the cheese, lemon juice, remaining tablespoon olive oil, salt, and the pepper. Fluff the couscous with a fork and serve immediately.
This dish is particularly good with fish.