Quite awhile ago, someone was looking for gluten-free recipes. Since I have developed severe allergies to grains, it was suggested to me by someone here on the echo that it could be the gluten content that was giving me trouble. So I decided to try the gluten-free grains. The gluten-free grains do not interchange readily in baking recipes. A few days ago, I happened upon "The Gluten-free Gourmet: Living Well Without Wheat" by Bette Hagman at the half price book store. This book is a real gem and I hope whoever was looking for gluten-free recipes sees this recipe. We have tried a couple of the recipes and they really are pretty tasty — I hadn't eaten a bakery item in over 3 months! Here is the muffin recipe that I made on Easter morning and everyone thought they were good.
- Makes 8 muffins.
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup gluten-free flour mix (recipe-follows) or all rice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup milk or nondairy liquid
- ¼ tsp vanilla
Gluten-free flour mix Edit
- In the mixing bowl, cream together sugar and shortening.
- Then beat in the eggs.
- Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder and add to the egg mixture alternately with the milk. Don't overbeat.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- These are best mixed by hand.
- Pour into greased muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated 350°F degree oven for about 20 minutes.