- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus additional for drizzling
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 2 jarred whole roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 small can tomato paste (8 ounces)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 2 small green squash, thinly sliced
- 2 small eggplants, thinly sliced
- 2 - 3 small Yukon Gold potatoes or a handful of baby Yukon Gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 - 4 sprigs thyme, leaves removed
Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tbsp. olive oil and heat until hot. Add the onion, garlic and roasted peppers to the pan and cook until the onions begin to get tender, 4 - 5 minutes.
Set up a food processor or blender and add the contents of the pan to the machine. Add in the tomato sauce and purée everything together (it should be about the consistency of thin tomato sauce). Season with salt and pepper and pour the mixture out into the bottom of a casserole dish or an oven-safe sauté pan.
Swirl your dish around so that the bottom is evenly coated with the sauce, then arrange your veggies on top in a spiral pattern, alternating each veggie type, until you've filled the pan.
Sprinkle the thyme leaves over the top along with some salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Cut a piece of parchment paper into a round the size of the pan. Lay the paper over the top and place the whole pan into the oven. Bake until the veggies are tender, about 45 minutes.
Serve the ratatouille with some crusty bread alongside.