Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yields: 20 plus wraps
I picked some fresh cabbage from a family garden and wanted to do something unique with it so I came up with the idea of stuffing them with red quinoa and goat cheese. The flavors of this dish blend together so well and the colors are beautiful!
- 1 whole red cabbage
- 1 small package of goat cheese
- 1 box red quinoa
- 1 small shallot minced
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup of agave or honey
- 1 1/2 tbsp. of balsamic vinegar
- Bring large pot of water to boil and place whole cabbage in the pot. Cover and let simmer for about 10 minutes or until outer leaves easily come off. After 10 minutes, use a pair of tongs to remove as many of the softened cabbage leaves as you can until they start to show resistance. Place leaves aside and let the rest of the cabbage continue to simmer for another 10 minutes. Continue until you have desired number of leaves (1 leaf can be split down the middle to form two wraps).
- While cabbage is boiling, cook red quinoa according to directions on the box. Once quinoa is close to being ready, place olive oil and shallots on small pan on medium to high heat and let simmer until shallots become translucent (about 5 minutes). When quinoa is finished cooking, mix in shallots and olive oil.
- Place wraps on plate or cutting board and fill with a few crumbles of goat cheese (about 2 tsp.) and a spoonful of quinoa. Filling should be placed closer to the bottom of the wrap for easier rolling. Starting from the bottom, roll cabbage into small wrap. In a small bowl, mix together agave or honey and balsamic vinegar and drizzle on top of wrap (or on top of filling if you prefer).