Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yields: 10 servings
- 2 quarts water
- 4 pounds Cipollini onions
- 4 rosemary sprigs
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Rosemary sprigs (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 475°.
2. In a stockpot, bring water to a boil. Add onions and cook for 30 seconds.
3. Once onions have cooked, drain and allow to cool.
4. Peel onions and arrange in a single layer on a jelly roll pan. Top with 4 rosemary sprigs.
5. Combine wine and the next 4 ingredients (wine through honey). Stir with a whisk.
6. Pour wine mixture over onions.
7. Bake onions at 475° for 30 minutes, turning twice.
8. Remove onions from pan with a slotted spoon. Carefully pour cooking liquid into a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
9. Reduce heat and allow onions to simmer for 3 minutes or until mixture has the consistency of a thin syrup.
10. Pour mixture over onions and toss so that the onions are well-coated.
11. Garnish with rosemary sprigs (optional).