Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yields: Serves 4.
A hearty, healthy pizza alternative made with fresh wintertime veggies and a homemade, easy-to-make whole wheat crust.
Ingredients for the Pizza Dough:
- 1 package active yeast (don’t let it scare you away)
- 1 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut in to 1/2″ pieces
- 1 medium parsnip. cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1 medium red onion, cut into eighths
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 fontina cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
Directions for the Pizza Dough:
- Add the yeast to a large mixing bowl. Cover with 1/2 cup of water. Allow to sit for 10 minutes while the yeast dissolves.
- Add the flour, salt, olive oil and remaining water. Mix well, combining all the ingredients thoroughly. Continue kneading until the dough becomes smooth. Add more flour, if needed. This should take anywhere from 7-10 minutes.
- Coat a large mixing bowl with olive oil. Place the dough in the bowl, cover with a towel and set aside in a warm place. Allow the dough to rise until it doubles in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and let it rest again for another 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into two equal size pieces. Either use them immediately or freeze them for future use. If you do freeze them, be sure that they are completely thawed before trying to use them.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Add the sweet potato, parsnip and onion to a large mixing bowl. Add the olive oil and mix well. Season with a generous pinch of salt and ground pepper.
- Spread out evenly on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cook in the oven until the sweet potatoes and parsnips are cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roll out your dough to the desired thickness. I recommend using a pizza stone. If you don’t have one on hand, a parchment lined baking sheet will work as well.
- Add the toppings starting with the vegetables. Cover with the cheese and top with thyme.
- Cook in the oven until the cheese has melted and the edges of the pizza crust start to brown, about 12 to 15 minutes.