Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook time: 1 hour, largely inactive (I recommend leaving it overnight whenever possible)
Donna says: If you haven’t tried Anne’s ULTIMATE VEGGIE CHILI recipe, put this on your “Must Try” list. It is easily the best veggie chili I have ever eaten. It has a fabulous rich, smoky flavor and texture and is very frugal. It is packed with budget-friendly healthy protein in the form of beans and tofu.
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. each chipotle chili powder and crushed red pepper flakes
- 14 oz. extra-firm tofu, frozen and thawed, excess water squeezed out 
- 2 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced jalapenos, drained
- 1 (4 oz.) can green chiles, drained
- 2 (14 oz.) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 oz.) can dark kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 cup whole roasted cashews
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot, sauté onion, bell pepper, and garlic in the olive oil over medium-high heat until onions are starting to soften. Stir in cumin, chipotle, and red pepper flakes. Crumble the thawed tofu into the mixture and sauté 5 minutes more.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add all tomatoes, jalapenos, green chiles, black beans, kidney beans, corn and cashews; mix well. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- As the recipe stands, it’s an effortlessly vegan recipe. I personally prefer to add a little sour cream and grated sharp cheddar, but it stands alone perfectly well too, or you could use a vegan sour cream and/or cheese.
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found