This is a light soup suitable as a starter or light meal, like lunch.
- 500 g of spinach or 300 g of watercress
- 1 tablespoon of crunchy peanut butter (substitute: crushed peanuts)
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 500 ml vegetable stock (use vegetable stock cube)
- 500 ml water
- 2 teaspoons of turmeric
- a pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- one table spoon of dark soy sauce
- large "chunk" of ginger
- bean curd if desired
- Mix salt, pepper, nutmeg and turmeric in a bowl with enough of the dark soy to make a paste.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan, add ginger and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the peanut butter.
- Stir rapidly as the peanut butter will stick to the bottom of the pan.
- After 30 seconds add the stock, stir lots.
- Take a ladle of the stock and add to the turmeric paste.
- Stir the paste into the liquid in the bowl.
- Add the rest of the soy and the turmeric mixture to the pan.
- Add the spinach or watercress to the pan.
- Cook for about 5 – 10 minutes until the spinach / watercress is cooked.
- Add tofu or bean curd one minute before the end if you would like it.