Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: none
Popular for parties, delicious, quick and easy...what's not to love? Just make it! As a note, you may certainly use full fat dairy ingredients in this recipe, but that sort of defeats the purpose of it being healthier. You can use reduced fat or fat free ingredients with no loss of consistency, flavor or texture.
- 16 oz. reduced fat or fat free sour cream (can sub with Greek yogurt but it will taste slightly different)
- 16 oz. reduced fat or fat free cream cheese
- 2 - 3 packets Ortega brand Hot and Spicy taco seasoning
- Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Shredded lettuce
- Sargento brand reduced fat 4-Cheese Mexican blend
- 2 bunches scallions, sliced thinly
- Beefsteak tomato, jelly and seeds removed, and diced
- Sliced black olives
Bring the cream cheese fully to room temperature before mixing. Combine the sour cream, cream cheese and taco seasoning in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or use a hand mixer. Make the mixture as smooth as possible, although you probably will not be able to fully keep the mix from having a few lumps of cream cheese.
Scoop the mix into a 13 x 9" pan and smooth it out to the edges. Liberally sprinkle crushed red pepper flakes over the top. At this point, you can cover and refrigerate the mix; this is assuming you plan on serving it the next day. If serving the same day, add the toppings.
Generously cover the mixture with shredded lettuce, cheese, and scallions. Add the tomato and olives last, according to personal tastes.
Serve with sturdy tortilla chips for scooping and keep plenty of cold beverages on hand to quell the fire!