Cook Time: 35 minutes
Even confirmed carnivores will love this meatless chili because it's rib-sticking thick.
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1/3 tsp. ground chipotle chile, or cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can dark red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 can small white beans, such as navy beans, rinsed
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until very soft and just beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and chipotle (or cayenne) to taste and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in canned and fresh tomatoes, kidney, white and black beans, water and pepper. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chili has reduced slightly, 10 to 15 minutes.