Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yields: 5 servings
These delectably stuffed tomatoes are a perfect complement to any main dish. If you want to cut down on prep time, make the stuffing ahead of time and refrigerate.
They are great to serve with rice and a perfect appetizer or main dish!
- 5 large tomatoes, ripe and firm
- 1½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 (4 oz.) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 (8 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp. paprika (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Rinse tomatoes in cool water and remove the tops.
- Spoon out the pulp and reserve in a bowl.
- Sprinkle tomato shells with salt and pepper.
- Turn upside down and set on paper towel to drain.
- Place tomatoes in a large, greased baking dish.
- Place the dish in a pan filled with ½ inch hot water.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil on a medium setting and sauté onion and green pepper until tender.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients except for cheese and paprika.
- Heat thoroughly.
- Sprinkle tomato stuffing with cheese and paprika.
- Spoon mixture into tomato shells and bake for 20 - 25 minutes.