Prep Time: 20 minutes
Yields: Serves 4
Tzatziki is a Greek cucumber salad dressed with yogurt, mint and garlic. It is typically served with grilled lamb and chicken but is also good served with crudités.
- 1 cucumber
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped fresh mint, plus a few sprigs for garnish
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 cup fat free plain yogurt
- cucumber flower, for garnish (optional)
- Peel the cucumber. Reserve a little of the cucumber to use as a garnish if desired and cut the rest in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds with a teaspoon and discard.
- Slice the cucumber thinly and combine with salt. Let stand for 15 - 20 minutes. Salt will soften the cucumber and draw out any bitter juices.
- Combine the mint, garlic, sugar and yogurt in a bowl, reserving a few sprigs of mint as a decoration.
- Rinse the cucumber in a sieve under cold running water to remove the salt. Drain well and combine with the yogurt. Decorate with a cucumber flower and/or mint. Serve cold.