Yields: Makes 6 servings
- 6 to 7 oz. whole wheat penne pasta
- 8 oz. broccoli florets
- 8 oz. mild Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Add broccoli during last 5 to 6 minutes of cooking. Drain well; cover and keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Crumble sausage into skillet. Add onion; cook until sausage is brown, stirring to break up meat. Drain fat.
3. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Add sausage mixture, lemon peel, salt and black pepper to pasta; toss until blended. Sprinkle Parmesan evenly over each serving.