Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yields: 6-8 servings
I'll admit, I was a little skeptical about making a vegetable lasagna for my family. I could already imagine the series of frowns that would appear when I told them that I would be replacing the ground beef and sausage with mushrooms and spinach. As a matter of fact, those same frowns that I imagined did infact appear! But everything changed when their forks met the lasagna. Nothing but smiles. Now my kids can't get enough of it! They call it, "Yummy Veggie Lasagna." I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine does!
- 1 cup Italian brown mushrooms, sliced
- 2 packages baby spinach
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped into small pieces
- 10 oz. jar Ragu Organic Veggie Sauce
- 1 cup shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup reduced fat or fat free ricotta cheese (Cottage cheese works too!)
- 1 box Barilla lasagne noodles (No boiling required!)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Set saute pan on medium high heat.
2. Add 1/4 cup olive oil.
3. Add spinach and allow to saute for 5-7 minutes. (Note: Spinach will likely spill out of the pan at first, but will cook down.)
4. Remove spinach from pan and set on paper towel to drain the remaining water.
1. In a large baking dish, cover the bottom of the pan with noodles and add a layer of pasta sauce.
2. Add mushrooms, spinach, onions, garlic, ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese.
3. Add another layer of sauce and noodles.
4. Repeat Step #2 until you run out of filling.
5. Your top layer should be noodles sprinkled with sauce and cheese.
6. Cover the baked dish with aluminum foil, making sure to create a dome, or "bubble" with the foil. Do not allow the foil to directly touch the lasagna.
7. Bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes.